Saturday, January 14, 2012

That Holiday Spin

My head is spinning with so much to say that I don't say anything at all. Did that ever happen to you?
First we have Xmas. Lot going on but do I really want to go into it? I'm always on pins and needles, anticipating the major storm that is bound to occur. It did.
My son has out of towners from his wife's family that drop in unexpectedly. This sends my daughter into a frenzy because this year we're doing our private celebrations at her house.
Will we have enough food? Will they make comments about the Spanish that they speak with my son-in-laws "Tia." Will they get drunk? After all, isn't that what people do in Georgia??
I made an extra dish and my daughter-in-law brought over extras too. Out of respect for her mother-in-law, her brothers agreed to not drink. The little girl they brought was a welcome attention to the few children we had with us. And finally, they blended in so well with the rest of us, nobody really noticed when English was spoken or Spanish.
The thing is, we were so sure that they would have prejudices about our life style that we failed to notice how we were doing that to them. When they left, we felt a bit shamed. How could we have thought it would be awkward when in reality, through my wonderful daughter-in-law, we were all family, connected in the most basic ways.
Oh, that was minor though, compared to when the next storm hit. My other daughter finally decided, after a year of counselling and struggling with this, that she would be getting a divorce - right when his family is coming to town from Ohio to celebrate Xmas with them! That was such a painful decision to make after only 2 1/2 years of marriage, but it was better to do it now than after children and other ties bound them even tighter.
She and her wonderful dog Andre moved in with us. She thought she could stay in her home, first moving into the spare bedroom. After her husband had an outburst, we all decided she needed to come live with us until he relocates.
I can't begin to tell you how greedy he turned out to be. Even though she bought most of the property, he has firmly claimed them as his due. Luckily she has his car in her name to simmer him down a bit. Otherwise I think he's out to destroy her and could have succeeded. He wants that car though.
So, this is my holiday.
Now I just have to get through my doctor's visit next week. Yes, I always make a doctor's appointment after the holidays. Keeps my feet on the ground when my head starts that holiday spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment