Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday, Sunday, can't trust that day...

Wake up late and think, "Ahh, gonna have a great day!" After all, it's Sunday! First my youngest daughter phones. "Can I come over and use your treadmill?"
"Of course."
She brings her Boston Terrier, Andre, who is pissed - I washed his bedding and the funky smell he usually leaves on them is gone. Plus, it's all puffy, making him a bit of a woosh if he actually sleeps on it. So he sits instead. We can't talk him down. While I'm cooking breakfast, daughter 2 decided to share the meal first before she exercises. Spinach pie with yogurt topping it. She needs the iron.
She heads for the exercise room upstairs and that gets me to thinking I need to do the same. Leslie Sansome is my hero so I put on her DVD and then sneak upstairs to watch daughter 2. She doesn't need much coaxing to join me with Leslie. We've lost 3 hours already. Daughter 2 states our home is like the Bermuda Triangle - she gets "caught up in it"- and she can never figure out how to leave once she gets here.
Daughter 1 calls. Wants to get a haircut with me and also, have granddaughter 1 get her first haircut ever. She's 3 1/2 and has long, stringy hair. She really needs a cut and she's really excited about the whole prospect. Her mamma has been explaining everything, step by step. Granddaughter decides she'll watch us first. (Gives her "chicken out" time.)
After another 3 hours, we are all cut, blow dried, and looking very nice. Granddaughter sat immobile for the cut. Now she keeps tossing her head, feeling her hair whip in to place.
So, the day headed for minor greatness except while waiting for those two to get their cuts, I kept looking at myself in the mirror and realizing, "This really isn't going to help much." I can see it's happening. At 62, I'm seeing that I am "exponentially aging" and it's not going to be pretty no matter how many times I go to a stylist, exercise or change my eating habits. I can see the hanging neckline, the thickened kneecaps and the drying hair. My skin looks discolored. My hair stylist has to cut off lots more than he usually does and although he doesn't say anything, I noticed he was extremely light-handed with the hair beauty products.
When he finished though, he exclaimed, "Beautiful, just beautiful," and I find that aging isn't that big of an issue after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment